~~OHIO University is seeking a qualified applicant for a Key Shop Manager within the Facilities Management & Safety department.
Established in 1804, OHIO University is the oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Ohio and the first in the Northwest Territory. Located in the scenic Appalachian foothills, its classic residential campus in Athens, Ohio, is one of the most attractive in the nation.
The Key Shop Manager directs the day-to-day operations of the Key Shop for Facilities Management & Safety (FMS).
The Key Shop Manager reports to the Assistant Director for Access Control
• The Key Shop Manager oversees the day-to-day operations of the University Key Shop, the business unit responsible for the installation and maintenance of all locking devices installed on University premises and the cutting and issuance of all University keys.
• This position is primarily responsible for the supervision of four (4) full-time Bargaining Unit employees, including direction and evaluation of work.
• Responsible for departmental purchasing and inventory management, as well as coordinating all activity required from the shop in support of University capital projects.
• Ensures productivity of staff with broad discretion to schedule employees for efficacy as related to assigned work.
• Accountable for evaluating, training, performance management, coaching, mentoring and technical expertise of all Key Shop employees.
• Manages and maintains records and data entry related to payroll for assigned employees.
• Complies with all laws, University policies and procedures, safety regulations and Collective Bargaining agreement.
• Represent Facilities Management’s interests in building and utility infrastructure matters with senior administrators, faculty, union officials, governmental officials, regulators, contractors, architects, engineers, project managers, energy purveyors and others.
• Develops shop work and safety rules specific to area supervised and assist in development departmental policies and procedures.
• Assists and cooperates/teams with other members of the Facilities Management and the University as needed;
• Perform other duties as assigned by higher level management and serves as duty officer/technical support on a scheduled basis to handle after hour emergency situations.
• Inspects facilities for needed maintenance work, reviews work orders, takes customer complaints, and other requests for service with goal of providing quality customer service campus-wide
• Displays leadership that results in teamwork, customer focus, innovation, and continuous process improvement within the organization.
Specific job duties include:
1. Coordination & Management of Work: Oversees shop productivity by reviewing, prioritizing, and issuing work orders to Bargaining Unit Staff for completion. Assists staff with troubleshooting issues with mechanical and electro-mechanical locks and locking devices. Receives calls from various University customers and partners and provides front line customer service for the University Key Shop. Updates work order management software to provide customer feedback and maintains quality assurance to provide superior customer service.
2. Design & Implementation of Locking & Keying Systems: provides master key system configuration and design for over 30,000 locks and openings on Ohio University Athens and Dublin campuses. Works with University partners and colleagues to provide keying support for all Capital Projects and renovations. Enters configured codes into proprietary software and ensures appropriate records are maintained. Provides recommendations and guidance based on relevant building codes and safety guidelines. Monitors the industry for emerging technologies and vulnerabilities.
3. Procurement & Inventory Management: Maintains Shop inventory to ensure efficiency of operations. Works with Procurement and designated vendors/contractors to source and maintain shop inventory for timely and accurate emergency repair. Works with staff to ensure they are equipped with the necessary tools to provide timely and accurate service for University customers and partners.
4. Staff Training, Development & Management: Provides training and development for Bargaining Unit Staff. Provides direct supervision of four Bargaining Unit Employees. Manages equalization of work and provides guidance and support as needed per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Manages payroll, attendance, overtime and all corresponding documentation. Provides leadership required to maintain a safe, efficient, and inclusive team of service professionals.
Demonstrates Ohio University’s values. This includes such behaviors as the demonstrated ability to give and receive feedback, communicate honestly, listen, respect others, learn from mistakes, set high goals and achieve them, overcome obstacles, uses time effectively, sets priorities, and participates effectively on teams. Exhibits innovation, good judgment and reliability in the work place. Encourages staff to acquire new skills and utilize them.
Work may be in noisy and dusty environments such as mechanical room, construction areas, utility tunnels, crawl space and utility plant areas that at times may be hot or cold.
Individual should be knowledgeable in the use of Microsoft Office suite, or similar, including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Additionally, with training and familiarization, should be able to access and use web and cloud based software for other specialty applications.