OHIO University is seeking a qualified applicant for University Custodial Services Manager within the University Custodial Services department.
Established in 1804, OHIO University is the oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Ohio and the first in the Northwest Territory. Located in the scenic Appalachian foothills, its classic residential campus in Athens, Ohio, is one of the most attractive in the nation.
The Custodial Services Manager will be responsible for supervising and managing comprehensive custodial maintenance operations for large complex of academic, residential, research, and teaching buildings on campus. Provides highly effective leadership and training of 25 or more custodians in unionized work environment. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with staff and departments in a fast-paced service environment. Manages an extensive equipment & supply inventory. Administers to principles and language of the AFSCME contract and department work rules. Must be available 24/7 for facilities emergencies. The department strives to maintain a clean, attractive, healthy, and safe environment for all faculty staff, and students.
The Custodial Services Manager reports to the Director of Facilities Management. Responsibilities of the position include:
• Ensures productivity of staff with broad discretion on evaluating work areas for effectiveness and efficiency. Works with other custodial services managers to effect changes.
• Accountable for evaluating, training, coaching, mentoring and technical expertise of all custodial employees.
• Complies with all laws, University policies and procedures, safety regulations and the Collective Bargaining agreement.
• Represents Facility Management and Safety’s interests in building and utility infrastructure matters with senior administrators, faculty, union officials, governmental officials, regulators, contractors, architects, engineers, project managers, energy purveyors and others.
• Assists in work loading of campus facilities and development departmental policies and procedures;
• Assist and cooperate/team with other members of the Facilities Management and the University as needed;
• Effectively manage internal and external communications with other members of Facilities Management, customers, vendors, and technicians.
• Perform other duties as assigned by higher level management and serves as duty officer/technical support on a scheduled basis to handle after hour emergency situations.
• Inspects facilities and takes customer complaints, and assesses other requests for service with goal of providing quality customer service campus-wide.
• Display leadership that results in teamwork, customer focus, innovation, and continuous process improvement within their organization.
Specific duties include:
• Directs, plans, assigns, evaluates, and corrects the work performance of 25 or more custodians who maintain 10-15 campus academic, residential, and administrative buildings. Supervises up to 4 Lead Custodians/Lead Coordinators/Team Leaders in supporting the complex of staff and buildings.
• Supervisory responsibilities include establishing objectives, strategies, and action plans in organizing time and staff, matching skills with assignments and leading staff through changing environments, finding the right person to work on the right problem. Provide timely and accurate information to all staff in a respectful manner, fully supporting the critical nature of effective and honest feedback in a high-performance workforce.
• Regularly inspects all assigned facilities and completes reports in support of the Department’s Quality Assurance Program. Manages and maintains a high level of quality regarding all custodial services that the department provides. Reports maintenance issues to the appropriate manager within Facilities Management and Safety. Proactively interfaces with Ohio University staff at all levels who work in the buildings, to solicit their feedback regarding the services provided. Works closely with building coordinators regarding maintenance issues.
• Trains, develops, and comprehensively supports staff. Schedules formal custodial training with the department’s Training Manager for all employees including new employee training, remedial training and right-to-know classes. Authorizes other non-department Ohio University training classes. Interviews and makes hiring decisions regarding new employees and promoting existing employees. Administers employee/labor relations matters including probationary reviews, performance appraisals, formal discipline (including discharge), and hearing grievances at Step I of the grievance procedure for labor related matters. Follows the AFSCME contract in administering to all labor related matters, proactively works to diffuse potential conflict before it begins.
• Manages a large inventory of supplies and equipment for all assigned buildings and staff. Interfaces with e-Shop and procurement in ordering and receiving new supplies as needed. Manages lamping and re-lamping of all lighting fixtures within the complex. Addresses a variety of lamping issues and problems throughout the buildings. Facilitates Ohio University’s recycling and trash removal processes in delegating responsibility to the custodial staff. Interfaces regularly and troubleshoots related problems with recycling operations regarding both processes.
• Responsible for on-the-job safety of all employees, and enforces Department and University health and safety policies. Interfaces with Environmental Health and Safety regarding issues that affect health and well-being of our custodians, and the Ohio University community. Manages problems including the clean-up of bodily fluids. Enforces and ensures that the Departments rules governing the procedure for clean-up of bodily fluids and other hazards (e.g. broken glass, toxic chemicals, syringes) are strictly adhered to.
Facilitates a large variety of special projects and responds to emergencies at the University including floods and fire clean-ups. Facilitates snow removal. Provides custodial maintenance for new and renovated facilities. Reviews, assigns, and manages work within CMMS system in accordance with department processes and guidance. Provides expert consultation to campus departments regarding special maintenance needs.
• Manages special events for the department including set ups and special needs for, Commencement, Alumni Weekend, concerts, conferences, and other functions. Manages a variety of special projects and assignments as directed. Take a leadership role during university events such as hall opening and closing, housing, reunions, final exams, Trustee Meetings, conferences, etc. Other duties as assigned.
Successful candidate must possess the following attributes/skills:
• Exceptional management and supervisory skills with substantial experience in effectively supervising employees preferably in a custodial maintenance operation.
• Understanding of custodial equipment.
• Apptitude and proven ability to effectively manage large groups of employees in a highly diverse environment.
• Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills (both written and verbal).
• Work under pressure managing multiple priorities.
• Individual should be knowledgeable in the use of Microsoft Office suite, or similar, including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Additionally, with training and familiarization, should be able to access and use web and cloud based software for other specialty applications.
All Facilities Management and Safety employees are accountable for supporting the Ohio University’s values of community, character, civility, citizenship and integrity; and commitment supporting inclusive and sustainable practices in carrying out everyday responsibilities.
Please apply at the following link by May 15, 2017.